Offering Help through a Holiday Giving Project
FIRST BATCH OPPORTUNITIES (Week of November 9)
Click the button to signal your interest and willingness to help any of these families! We will connect you with other people willing to help, and guide you in connecting with the family in ways that are meaningful and manageable!
A family in Everson reached out to us and shared the following story:
We have a big family 8 kids under 13 years my husband and I and only one income so we can’t afford to spend more money to buy for ours kids and pay rent utilities, food, hygiene etc we appreciate some help out there if someone can help us please thank you.
As immediate needs for the giving project, they have identified that they are looking for:
- Clothing for their children (5 boys and 3 girls)
- A computer or tablet for zoom
A woman in South Bellingham shared this with us:
Hello, I am the mother of 4 boys and the grandmother of one boy. I recently got custody of my grandson who just turned 7 years old on Halloween. I also care for 4 young men with special needs (my oldest son, who is on the autism spectrum, a family friend who is on the autism spectrum, my nephew who has FAS and my youngest son, who has mental health issues. We are a tight nit family that gets by with what we have. We have just enough to pay the bills, but there’s not much left beyond that. I just sent you a request for some help with an electric range, as ours just went out and I was wondering, if it’s not asking too much to maybe put us on your list for help with some food for the holidays. I thank you for all you do.
She has identified, as some specific needs:
- A size 8 boy’s winter jacket
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Legos for a 7 year old boy
- A fun book for a 7 year old boy
- Size 2 winter boots for 7 year old boy
Here is a deeply moving story:
I am a daughter of a single mom. I have been fortunate enough to find love and have a family of my own. My household of 5 plus the dog and the neighbor kids that are over all the time are overflowing with love but unfortunately we are not able to provide much of a Christmas for our kids or the adopted kids from next door. I know that my family needs assistance this holiday season but I am also concerned about my next door neighbor as she is barley making ends meet as well. I make sure to stretch my food so I know that she and her two sons are fed. I would appreciate help for my family. What I really ask for is help for them. I may not be able to do much for my kids but I’m afraid that she won’t be able to do anything for hers. She works so hard just trying to get by. She works nights and has to stay awake to make sure her kids can be in school at home. She is sleep deprived and just barley making rent and power and being able to feed the kids. She deserves so much and so do her kids.
We’re still working with her to identify some specific needs, however, if you are moved to partner with her in caring for her neighbor, we’re accepting expressions of interest!
Interested in helping but don’t find any of these to be a good fit? We’re processing needs from our community all the time and trying to make connections! Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch. There will also be another round of Holiday Giving Project families in early December.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Express your interest in giving through a Holiday Giving Project by filling out the form below.
- We will post and distribute a list of individual/family stories, along with their specific needs, during the week of November 9th, and again the week of December 7th. You will be invited to express interest in helping people from that list.
- During the following week, we will connect you with other people who want to help, and with the person whose needs you expressed interest in.
- This is a direct giving project. While we have “vetted” these needs and will play a “support role” as you engage with the individual/family in need, it will be primarily be up to you in consultation with other givers to determine how you want to organize to maximize your impact on their life and circumstance.
Questions? Feel free to ask!
Don’t forget! Whatcom Love INC also has needs during this holiday season, and we’d welcome you to learn more and get involved as you are able.